Another love of mine is chocolate. A love that I have to be very careful around. One that I can only indulge in sparingly. I love to bake, however I am not the kind that “has enough” just by smelling the baking goodies. And I’m definitely not the kind that can have just a sliver, or just one, once the baked dessert is out of that oven. And I surely don’t even wait for it to cool!
But on those occasions when I splurge I like to make the Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes that I found in the Cupcake edition of Better Homes and Gardens. I love it because it’s super easy to make and very fun to eat.
Although I really enjoy making things from scratch, and you are welcome to use your favorite chocolate cake recipe, this one calls for a 2-layer-size package chocolate cake mix. It also calls for two 16-ounce cans creamy white frosting, but I like to make my own whipped cream cheese frosting. So if you now have the urge to eat some crazy good cupcakes, here’s the recipe:
1 2-layer-size package chocolate cake mix
1 12-ounce jar hot fudge ice cream topping
1 to 2 16-ounce cans creamy white frosting
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces or I like the Hershey ice cream toppers (saves you the melting)
1 teaspoon shortening
1 10-ounce maraschino cherries with stems, well drained
- Prepare cake batter per box instructions and divide evenly in muffin cups baking dish, lined with paper baking cups.
- Place a small tablespoon of ice cream topping on the top center of each cupcake.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Once slightly cooled remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely.
- Spread some of the frosting over each cupcake. Place the remaining frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and pipe some on top.
- In a small saucepan melt the chocolate pieces and shortening over low heat; cool slightly. Drizzle chocolate over top of frosted cupcakes. (This is where I use the Hershey’s ice cream toppers).
- Sprinkle cupcakes with nuts or sprinkles if you’d prefer. Place a cherry on top.
This recipe will make you 24 cupcakes. And in case you want to make your own frosting:
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
Add sugar gradually, beating after each addition until blended.
Now, you can make these cupcakes without the nuts, but I prefer mine a little nutty, (like my Nana) – for those of you that watched Wreck it Ralph. 🙂